We are asked this, and questions like this, all the time. What can I burn? What can't I burn? And why?
People assume that if something will burn then why not throw it on the fire?
Seems like a no brainer doesn't it. It's actually not that simple. Burning wood that hasn't been specifically treated for the purpose of burning on a stove or fire can actually be very harmful.
Old painted, varnished or treated wood can release chemicals when burnt. Burning damp and unseasoned wood can create extra soot in the flue, which can produce sulphuric acid and eat away at your brickwork!
Deposits left in your chimney from burning the wrong type of fuel can lead to chimney fires and more, so always double check before you burn it!